Last week saw the celebration of My Little Shorn Sheep (Kate) turning 5. It started when she got money in the mail from Grandma Ellie - which burned a hole in her pocket until she could turn around and use it to buy something from my "store" (toys and other things they can save up their allowance to buy). Until her birthday money came, Kate was dead broke because she had to pay Aunt Lisa for cutting up her guest sheets (hmmm...cutting Barbie hair, cutting her own hair, cutting sheets...are we seeing a pattern???)
Kate choose the Barbie pool - which held real water! It was only when I had several nekkid Barbies with ruined hair, several soaking wet human-sized towels, and water EVERYWHERE that I had to wonder what possessed me to pick that thing out on a garage sale.
On to the big party with friends! Kate invited seven friends over for a night of food and fun! What's not to love about mini-corn dogs, mac and cheese, chocolate cake, ice cream and grapes? Food of champions - or those looking to block a few vital vessels to the heart.
The kids played dress up, jumped on the trampoline for most of the evening, had big monkey piles of fun and mixed several colors of play-doh together, despite my pleas to the contrary. Rachel, Mary's daughter, got to stay overnight because she is a cousin so the fun lasted until 11 PM when three VERY sleepy girls were brought up to bed. I thought they would sleep in well the next morning, having gone to bed so late.

Fat chance. I guess the voice of the new My Little Pony remote-controlled scooter must have whispered to them in the early morning hours because I hear engine revving sounds and horn honking at O-Dark-Thirty. I banished the girls to the basement and crawled back in bed, desperately in need of more sleep. But none would come my way...at least not on a post-birthday party morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment