My girls are amazed at my ability to detect when they are doing something they shouldn't be doing behind my back. I suppose some of it is a sixth sense you develop as a mother...like the sense to know when things are "too quiet" or to have laser precision hearing to pick up on the terse, whispered "Stop touching me or I'm telling Mom"s that are sniper-fired back and forth.
I tell the girls the reason I know is that I have Eyes in the Backamyhead! Someday, I'll tell them it's really because, due to the black microwave over my stove reflecting all that goes on behind me, I can see when they are picking, poking, kicking, making faces and muttering to each other.
The other day, Elisabeth was trying to style my hair (code word for painful brushing of my hair and ears, and several multicolored hair bands being put at the bottom of loosely twisted hair) when she pauses, puzzled, and turns around to face me.
"I don't see them, Mom!" she says with furrowed brow. "What don't you see?" I ask, thinking she is missing the last of the 3,298 hair bands she wants to use in my hair. "The eyes in the back of your head."
Whoops! And being the good, nurturing Christian Mother-of-the-Year (Still waiting on my crown and sash), I lie to her.
"Really?" I tell her, "Maybe you have to be a mom to see them. But never fear...they are there. And they develop x-ray vision when you turn 13."
1 comment:
I have fond memories of "styling" my mom's hair too.
Sounds like you're well on your way to a crown and sash!
Post a Comment