Family

Family

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kissing on the Lips

While Husband was out mowing the jungle that is our front yard, S conspiratorily whispered to me, "Mom, I have a boyfriend.". Mind you, she's six...wasn't quite ready for the boyfriend thing. I ask her, "What does it mean to have a boyfriend?" "Well," she replies, "it means you kiss on the lips." I stifle my knee-jerk reaction to yell "Over my dead body!" and instead decide I'm going to nonchalantly go along with this out-of-body experience. "Well, I kiss you on the lips...does that make ME your boyfriend?" I say...seeing how much I can mess with her.

"NO, MOM!", says S, thoroughly disgusted. I press on "Well, then how can you tell if someone is your boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend means you love him, " she states emphatically. "I love chocolate chips, " I tell her (this is too much fun)..."Does that mean chocolate chips are my boyfriend?" (She is now looking at me like I've grown a third head but being a parent gives me a license to be weird so I keep going).

"Are you going to go on a date with your boyfriend?" I ask. "What's a date?" she says, looking mildly confused. I explain to her that a date is when the boy drives to your house in his car, brings flowers to the door, opens your car door, then you both go out to eat or to a movie and talk a long time about silly things. Then, he takes you home and gives you a smooch before you go back into your house for the night.

"Can you drive us?" she asks. I tell her that most people REALLY don't want their mom along for a date. "Can we have a play date?" she asks. Now THAT is the kind of date a mother can support her six-year-old having!

No comments: