Family

Family

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Dawdler Sisters

This week saw the introduction of Incentive Plan Version 532.0. Really, I've lost count of how many rewards programs I've introduced and they pretty much start off with two excited girls viewing my visual aid (whiteboard, poster, etc.) with wide-eyed excitement and nods that 'yes, they understand how it works and will try diligently to follow it' and ends with either a) me forgetting to maintain the program or b) tears and tantrums because they didn't get the reward because of tears and tantrums.

This week's dealt with the morning routine. I'm tired of coming unglued when they both dawdle their way through breakfast and getting ready for school. I'll send Kate (formerly K) in to get dressed and look in 20 minutes later only to see her with her socks on each hand pretending to talk to each other. Elisabeth (formerly S) gets sidetracked by all the loads of minature crappola in her room that has been carefully amassed from any organization with access to an Oriental Trading Company magazine.

So I've had it. I'm tired of saying the words, "Get moving. Stop messing around. You're going to be late. Step on the gas, sister." I created a grid with pictures the progress down the whiteboard showing each step in the morning routine. Each girl gets a magnet with their initial on it and they get to "race" down the board doing each step in the routine. Whoever wins gets bragging rights, I guess. Haven't really determined a daily prize. I've told them that they are responsible for being ready by the time the timer rings because that's when the big blue mini-bus (AKA the new minivan) is backing out of the garage. If they are still in their pajamas with their hair raised to the heavens, then I guess that's how they'll have to go to school.

This morning was the first morning we tested it out. It worked really well until Elisabeth got sidetracked (she was leading for most of the way), and Kate was ready for me to "do hair" first. Then Elisabeth had a gargantuan-sized meltdown about the unfairness of life. We'll see how long it is before I introduce Incentive Plan Version 533.0.

2 comments:

Julia DesCarpentrie said...

Hey- here in Dallas at the Orphan Summit and met your bro-in-law Shannon. We were in the same break out session and recognized each other but didn't know why. Started connecting dots and realized that we knew each other thru like 5 different avenues. Small world.

Mouseymom said...

Jane! I love your blog and you make me laugh out loud all the time. Those girls of yours are so blessed to have such a fun and wonderful mom! I feel like I am mothering right along side you! I can not possible compete with your humor.. but here is my blog...

afrontrowseattoourlife.blogspot.com