Family

Family

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ambulips and Reversing the Ax

Kate came home with a book from school this week that has the letter "A" underneath pictures of things that being with that letter. Normally the pictures are of easy to pronounce but this week we had "astronaut" and "acrobat" among others. We were slogging through learning pronounciation when I turned the page and groaned.

It was a picture of an ax.

Why the groan, you ask? Well, when Kate first came, she constantly used the word "AX" instead of "ask" - a common misuse in her culture. We have worked over and over to have her use the correct word to ASK me a question. I knew as soon as I saw the picture we were in for a battle. Sure enough...she kept naming the picture an "ask". I'd correct her with "Ax" and she'd look at me like I had said a bad word. Finally, we reached the point where she would say "Axsk".

Good enough.

My favorite mispronounciation in the book came with the word "Ambulance" in which I broke down into "AM" BYU" "LUNTZ". She kept repeating "Ambulips?"

Finally, I decided to go more how it was written and told her to think of her cousin Lance so now she halts through AM BYU LANCE! Now I just hope if there is an emergency she can AX and AMBULIPS to rush over here.

No comments: