Family

Family

Monday, May 4, 2009

Ranger Bill, Warrior of the Woodland

Tonight I decided to ignore my fastidious urge to clean and have an "adventure" with the girls. I'm not entirely the outdoorsy type, but nonetheless, we all put on our mud boots, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts and traipsed down a very steep, wooded path to the river bottom. We took Lumpy and Spazzoid (okay, Atticus and Sasha the dogs) with us and they were going berserkoid when they (the dogs) realized they were freed from their invisible fencing prison. They were tearing every direction, sniffing, rooting, flailing in the river (which had a very strong current, due to recent flooding).

I know next to nothing about plants and tracking animals but my kids know even less so I took on the role of "Ranger Bill" (a nod to the many Saturdays growing up that I spent listening to the Ranger Bill hour on the radio), showing the girls deer tracks (I think) and poison ivy plants (again, I think...who are they to argue). We tromped through woods and weeds and itchy bugs and all along, trying to make sure the hounds didn't escape into the wilderness (which happened a time before and they ran six miles until they flopped down in some random woman's yard, too exhausted to go further).

Tonight, my city mice became country mice. I think we're all ready for our merit badges now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An Invisible Fence is a good idea if you want to keep your dog safe.
I love my wireless dog fence because I never have to worry about fixing broken wires. A Wireless Pet Fence is a good option for pet containment.

Susan Haerr said...

"Struggling against extreme odds; fighting the many enemies of nature; all this in exchange for the pride and satisfaction of a job well done!! Way to go Mrs. Stumpy Jenkins.