Family

Family

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Good Jesus Wise Man Samaritan

Every night we read Bible stories to the girls. The problem is that their attention span is extremely short. We've started telling them that they need to pay special attention because we will ask them questions after the story is done. This is a sample of what it sounds like:

(I read the story of "The Good Samaritan")

Me: "S, what happened to the man walking down the road?"
S: "Uhhhhm..." (I see her glance at the page as she starts to read verbatim from the story. I close the book and she gets a panicked look on her face...no more cheating). "He gets kicked?"
Me: "Close enough...K, who comes along to help him?"
K: "Jesus?" (she grins at me because she thinks if she answers "Jesus" to every question, she gets a pass)
Me: "How about a priest? Does he help the man?"
K: "YES!" (she is SURE she is right this time)
Me: "Were you listening?" (not sure why I even bother asking...it's evident she was off in la-la land)
K: "YES!" (a big lie)
Me: "No, the priest did not help. Who did help?"
K: "The wise men."
Me: "There are NO WISE MEN in this story. S, who helped?"
S: "Uhhhhmmm...I can't remember his name."
Me: "THE SAMARITAN!" (exasperated...will they retain ANYTHING?) "What did he do for the man that got beat up and robbed?"
S: "Took him to a door." (A door? The door of the inn? I look through the story. Nope, no mention of a door)

At this point, I look at Darren, roll my eyes, and realize our work is cut out for us. Better luck tomorrow night.

No comments: