Family

Family

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Sloth to Dribbletastic

As if the chaos of the soccer season wasn't enough to make me feel like I lived in my Blue Bus, we enrolled both of the spastic Squirrels in basketball.  We figured Eli would be fine with it, being that she was in a basketball clinic last year and has attended the local college clinic to shoot hoops with the men's basketball team. 
 Katybird, on the other hand, is quite possibly the world's laziest sloth.  No, seriously, I love my kid but I tell her to empty the dishwasher and she throws herself to the ground and starts sobbing, "You mean ALL BY MYSELF?  NO ONE is going to HELP me?".  She doesn't want to return her craftastic supplies to the basement because there are spiders down there.  Getting her to sort and gather laundry can take all evening with several redirections when she becomes distracted by floating dust particles and shiny objects. 
However, Katybird has discovered she totally digs basketball. She is excited to go every Saturday and isn't half bad.  Elisabeth is in an age bracket where there are only two teams so the same two teams play each other every week.  She's fast but the shortest on the team and is assigned a super aggressive guard from the opposing team. 
I'm trying to teach her how to box out - the only basketball skill I was halfway good at because I had the rear end to do some damage and elbows that were at everyone else's eyeball level...since I only played in 8th grade when I was far ahead of everyone on the growth chart.  Luckily, Darren is helping coach Elisabeth's team and he has far more skills than me.  Although I don't know if I care as much about skill development as I do having Elisabeth and Kate both burn off the excess ADHD energy that would otherwise lead to broken Christmas ornaments in the house. 

No comments: