
I knew not only did we have a family vacation coming up to the beach which would mean daily access to a private pool, but I also consider swimming an absolutely necessary life skill. In fact, if I had not gone through swimming lessons, including what was called "Junior Lifesaving" at the time, (and then on to Water Safety Instructor training), I may not be here today.
In 1993, I was on a band trip to Colorado Springs with my high school. One of the activities was white water rafting (man, those chaperones must have either been gluttons for punishment or incredibly brave to try to wrangle 100+ wiggly, hormonal, brainless teenagers at one time). If you remember, 1993 was the year of the floods and the Arkansas River in Colorado was no exception.

I was in a raft with my good friends Shauna, Jennifer, Amy, Gina, and Becky. Our river guide was from Iowa (should have been our first clue he wasn't used to white water) and had been on the river only two or three months (should have been our second warning). Plus, as we navigated our raft down the river, two of us had to bail water constantly as it was taking on more water than we could have and still make it around several rocky bends in the river.
Well, long story short, we became too water logged, our guide couldn't wrestle back control of the boat, and we smashed into a rock, capsizing the boat. A couple of girls were caught underneath, one swam for shore for all she was worth, and lucky me got swept down the river at warped speed. I was sucked under from time to time but luckily had the presence of mind to remember my training (which was all theory and no practical application until now) which was to keep my feet forward to hit the rocks first, knees bent to absorb the shock, and recline back in the water and backpedal with my arms to slow myself down.
The rafting company had an assistant posted along the bank of the river and he tried to toss me the tow rope. I missed and got sucked under the water. The river guide that had been in our boat came swirling up behind me and latched onto my life vest. He caught the next toss of the tow rope and I was pulled into the river bank. I scrambled up on a rock, dripping wet, and heart pounding with adrenaline.
It was one of those moments when I realized I was not ten feet tall and bullet proof...but could very well have spun out of control in the water, dashed my head against a rock, and would have been nearly impossible to retrieve.

And so now, several years later, I am passing on the knowledge to my squirrels. And, after several months of giving Eli lessons in Grandma Ellie's fitness center pool, I am pleased to report little ole Eli can swim like fish. A blue swim capped large mouth snaggle-toothed bass, that is;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment